things you should know about prince concerts
- if you ever have the opportunity to go to one, you should go. cancel your plans, do whatever needs to be done, but be there.
- it doesn’t matter if you have good seats or the seats in the farthest reaches of the balcony. the only criteria for evaluating seats for a prince show is “are they in the same room where prince will be performing.” if the answer is yes, then they are good seats. prince will make sure everyone has a great time.
- if you are going to a prince concert, you can wear black, purple, or sequins. lace is also accepted, but only if it is black or purple.
being at a prince concert:
- prince will joke with you. when he takes off his jacket (squeee!), he will pretend that he is going to throw it into the crowd. prince is not going to throw his jacket into the crowd! that is an exquisitely tailored jacket that matches his exquisite cream colored pants and he is not going to throw it away.
- prince will recalibrate your sense of sexy. on paper, there is not that much that is sexy about a tiny man wearing gold sequin pants and a black sleeveless turtleneck tunic with armbands that spell out his own name, but during that part in “little red corvette” where he swings his ass around, you will be so overcome by hottness that you may need to fan yourself to prevent from swooning.
- when prince brings out chaka khan and they start doing a duet of “sweet thing” you may feel so overwhelmed and excited that you feel like you are going to die. don’t worry - this is a natural reaction to prince’s overwhelming princeocity.
- at one point, prince will pretend to be flustered because he has run out of hits. think for a moment. could prince ever run out of hits? no! this is the introduction to the part where he plays a medley of some of the biggest pop hits of the last 30 years. prince is just playing with you.
- prince does have expectations for you as an audience. at times, he will command you to sing, like with the “ooh ooh ooh ooh” part near the end of purple rain. that will be fine because the music will already be irrepressibly coming out of your body and prince will just conduct it. if you sing as prince commands, he will reward you by doing a little dance. this is an excellent deal and one you should accept.
- if you clap along, prince would really prefer that you do it on the 2 and 4 beats.